World Sports News in Brief

Newcastle revival continues with victory at Burnley

Tuesday, 2018-11-27 06:30:39
 Font Size:     |        Print
 

Burnley's Matthew Lowton (R) in action with Newcastle United's Matt Ritchie during their Premier League clash at Turf Moor Stadium in Burnley, Britain, on November 26, 2018. (Photo: Reuters)
 Font Size:     |  

Newcastle United surged clear of the Premier League relegation zone after a Ben Mee own goal and Ciaran Clark’s header in the first half helped them to a 2-1 win at struggling Burnley on Monday.

Newcastle celebrated a third successive league victory after failing to win any of their opening 10 fixtures and moved up to 13th place on 12 points from 13 games. The Magpies are four points clear of the relegation zone and three points ahead of 17th-placed Burnley, who stretched their winless league streak to six games.

* Argentina's president on Monday called for Congress to pass a bill in special session that would crack down on soccer hooliganism after a weekend melee derailed the final leg of the region's main club tournament. President Mauricio Macri wants a law that would more severely punish the kind of violence that over the weekend shut down the second leg of the Copa Libertadores soccer final between River Plate and Boca Juniors.

* Manchester City will be without the injured Bernardo Silva, Gabriel Jesus and Ilkay Guendogan for their Champions League Group F visit to Olympique Lyonnais on Tuesday. The trio were all missing from the 19-man squad which made the trip to France and manager Pep Guardiola told a pre-match news conference they did not travel due to fitness issues.

* Global soccer body FIFA has been urged by its own human rights advisory panel to give Iran a deadline for allowing women to watch soccer matches. Iranian women and girls have not been allowed to attend any men’s sporting events in the country for much of the 39 years since the Islamic revolution, and have not been granted access to matches involving top clubs since 1981.

* British-born Thai racer Alexander Albon will race for Toro Rosso next season, the Red Bull-owned Formula One team announced on Monday. Albon, 22, finished third in this year's Formula Two championship and had been due to compete for Nissan in the all-electric Formula E series. He will partner Russian Daniil Kvyat at Toro Rosso.

* AS Roma coach Eusebio Di Francesco publicly criticised his players on Monday for lacking determination, saying it was not something that could be bought at the supermarket. Roma, who finished third in Serie A last season and reached the Champions League semi-finals, suffered a shock 1-0 defeat at Udinese on Saturday, leaving them seventh in the table and 18 points behind leaders Juventus. They host Real Madrid in Champions League Group G on Tuesday, needing a draw to qualify for the next round with one match to spare.

* The head of the umbrella organisation of national Olympic committees (ANOC) has stepped aside from his role amid an ongoing legal case in Switzerland, the IOC said in a statement on Monday. The IOC said it had taken note of Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad Al-Sabah's decision to "temporarily suspend himself from his role and responsibilities within ....ANOC," a decision that will take effect from Wednesday. The Kuwaiti last week denied wrongdoing and said the allegations against him were politically motivated. He did not give further details.

* FC Barcelona will be without striker Luis Suarez for the next two weeks as the Uruguayan joins the club's lengthening injury list. Suarez has been left out of Barcelona's squad for Wednesday's Champions League tie away to PSV Eindhoven as he begins therapy on his right knee, which will keep him out of action for two weeks.

* The Indonesian Football Association is conducting an internal evaluation after the failure of the national football team in the AFF Suzuki Cup. The Indonesian national football team stalled in Group B as it only secured four points by beating Timor Leste, drawing with the Philippines, and losing to Thailand and Singapore.

* The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and the Republic of Korea (ROK) have joined forces to get their ancient wrestling tradition onto a United Nations list of cultural treasures. Ssirum in the DPRK or Ssireum in the ROK has a history stretching back around 1,800 years. The sport was added to the UN cultural agency's list of "intangible assets" on Monday.

Reuters, Xinhua