Guinea defence ministry says attack by mutinous soldiers repelled

Sunday, 2021-09-05 22:56:06
 Font Size:     |        Print
 

Members of the Armed Forces of Guinea drive through the central neighborhood of Kaloum in Conakry on Sunday after sustained gunfire was heard. (Photo: AFP)
 Font Size:     |  

Guinea's defence ministry said on Sunday that an attack by mutinous special forces on the presidential palace had been repelled, though it was not immediately clear who held power.

Unverified videos shared on social media showed Guinea's President Alpha Conde being detained by army special forces after hours of heavy gunfire around the presidential palace in Conakry.

Reuters