The Party and State always pay special attention to socio-economic development and defence and security assurance in the ethnic minority and mountainous areas. The Party’s and State’s important decisions have been a strong driving force in boosting the socio-economic development in ethnic minority and mountainous areas, contributing to fulfilling the set targets during 2016-2020 period.
The main results achieved in socio-economic development and defence and security assurance in ethnic minority and northern areas during the 2016-2020 period were the synchronous investment in the economic and technical infrastructure in difficult areas; and the impressive achievements in the work of hunger eradication and poverty reduction highly appreciated by international friends. In addition, the programme of building new-style rural area has achieved encouraging initial results. The education and vocational training in ethnic minority and mountainous areas has increasingly developed in all terms of scale, connectivity and quality. The healthcare for people has been focused in terms of networking, equipment and staff, so the quality of medical examination and treatment has seen positive changes. The preservation and promotion of good cultural values of ethnic minority groups has achieved clearer results. The planning, education and arrangement of the contingent of ethnic minority cadres and civil servants have been boosted. Security and defence in these areas has been strengthened; meanwhile, political security and social order and safety have been maintained.
From the reality during 2016-2020, the following lessons have been drawn:
Firstly, it is crucial to be steadfast and persistent in the implementation of the Party’s and State’s consistent policies that all groups are equal and should unite, respect and help together to develop; taking care of ethnic affairs is the responsibility of the entire Party, people and army as well as of agencies at all levels and the whole political system.
Secondly, it is essential to enhance the propaganda and communications in ethnic minority groups and mountainous areas to promptly convey the Party’s guidelines and State’s policies and laws to them. In addition, the investment resources for socio-economic development should be strengthened towards improving livelihoods and sustainable poverty reduction. The authorities need to pay much attention to consolidating and maintaining the ethnic minority people’s trust in the Party and State.
Thirdly, the training and effective arrangement of ethnic minority cadres and civil servants as well as the development of Party members and the cause of building Party and political system at grassroots levels should be enhanced. It is necessary to uphold the role of reputable people among ethnic minorities.
The general direction and goals on ethnic affairs and socio-economic development in ethnic minority groups and mountainous areas during 2021-2025, which was highlighted in the draft Political Report, received high agreement. The agencies and units from the central to local and grassroots levels will continue to innovate their thinking and make high determination, great efforts and drastic actions to implement synchronously and effectively eight groups of major missions and solutions:
1. Consistently and persistently implementing the Party’s views and guidelines; the 9th Party Central Committee’s Resolution No.24-NQ/TW ,dated on March 12, 2003, on ethnic work in the new situation and the 12th Politburo’s Conclusion No.65-KL/TW, dated on October 30, 2018, on continuing to implement the Resolution No.24-NQ/TW. Accordingly, the great unity among ethnic groups continues to be a strategic position; a long-term and an urgent task; and the responsibility of the whole Party, people, army and political system.
2. Continuing to perfect and develop the policies related to socio-economic development in ethnic minority groups and mountainous areas in a comprehensive and sustainable manner; promoting the potential and advantages; and sparking the spirit of self-reliance and the aspiration to overcome difficulties among ethnic minority people.
3. Improving the efficiency of programmes to expand preferential credit capital for projects that create livelihoods for people; diversifying and socialising the resources, of which State resources playing an important and decisive role in mobilising other resources.
4. Stepping up economic restructuring towards commodity production in line with the customs of each minority group. Developing specialised farming areas of crops and animals with high quality. Focusing on developing ecotourism in association with preservation and promotion of cultural values of ethnic minority groups.
5. Synchronously developing social and cultural fields in the ethnic minority groups and mountainous areas.
6. Building all-people national defence and security postures in association with people’s hearts; resolutely not allowing "hot spots" and “complicated spots” on security and order, especially in strategic areas of the northwest, central highlands, southwest and central coastal region.
7. Paying strong attention to training and developing ethnic minority Party members, notably in key, difficult and border areas. Honouring and encouraging reputable people, businessmen and scientists who have made great contributions to the cause of national construction and defence.
8. Highly concentrating on the successful implementation of the national target programme for socio-economic development in ethnic minority and mountainous areas during 2021-2030 period. Renovating organisational models of apparatus, functions and tasks of State management agencies on ethnic affairs, meeting requirements and missions in the new situation.