On February 12, the People's Committee of Vinh Phuc Province issued a decision on zoning and isolation of Son Loi Commune in Binh Xuyen District to ensure the highest effectiveness in the prevention and suppression of Covid-19.
Vinh Phuc has recorded the highest number of infection cases, with ten (most of them in Son Loi Commune) of the total of fifteen cases detected across the country so far. Therefore, the province decided to apply emergency measures for prevention and control of diseases in accordance with the 2007 Law on Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases and related documents.
Accordingly, the province established eight teams to control all means of transport and people in and out Son Loi Commune. The medical facilities in the province will receive, isolate, monitor and treat infected patients under the guidance of the Ministry of Health (MoH), while the province also established a field hospital and other concentrated isolation areas.
The local authorities also decided to allow local students to leave school for another week, from February 17 to 23, to ensure epidemic prevention. Six students of Vo Thi Sau High School in Binh Xuyen District who had close contact with N.T.T.D., who was identified as infected with Covid-19, are being quarantined at provincial health facilities.
Vietnam has recorded 15 nCoV infections so far, with seven among them having already recovered and discharged from hospital. According to the MoH’s infectious disease surveillance system, up until 8 am on February 13, the world has recorded 60,017 cases of nCoV infection, of which 59,493 cases and 1,353 deaths have been recorded in mainland China.
* On the afternoon of February 12, the MoH awarded a Certificate of Merit to a collective and six individuals from the National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology who made outstanding achievements in the successful culture and isolation of the new coronavirus. Earlier, on February 7, the institute announced that it had successfully cultured and isolated the novel coronavirus in the laboratory, facilitating rapid testing of infected and suspected cases, paving the way for future research and development of a vaccine against the deadly virus and the proposal of more effective preventive measures.
Deputy Minister of Health Do Xuan Tuyen presents the Certificate of Merit to the National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology. (Photo: NDO/Tran Nguyen)
* In the afternoon of the same day, at a teleconference on the Covid-19 situation and the prevention and control of the coronavirus in Hanoi, the chairman of the municipal People's Committee instructed the Hanoi Department of Health to purchase adequate equipment and supplies for all epidemic prevention and control scenarios, while making a list of people who have been in contact with infected patients in Vinh Phuc Province to determine the necessary solutions.
* On February 12, the chairman of the People's Committee of Bac Giang Province signed a decision on compulsory medical isolation for 50 Vietnamese and Chinese nationals who arrived Bac Giang from the epidemic areas. The province also decided to requisition three local facilities to establish quarantine areas.
* According to the Quang Ninh Provincial Department of Health, over 20 residents in Quang Ninh in contact with tourists and employees on board of the Diamond Princess cruise ship are in stable health and have tested negative for the novel coronavirus. February 12 was the 16th day from when the ship arrived in Ha Long Bay. The provincial authorities continue to monitor the health of these people as the number of confirmed infections on the ship, which is currently being quarantined offshore Yokohama, Japan, has reached 218 by now.
On the same day, Mong Cai City (Quang Ninh) and China’s Dongxing City Border Gate Management Board held a meeting to share experience on Covid-19 prevention and control. Mong Cai City presented medical supplies to Dongxing to support the neighbouring city in dealing with Covid-19.
* On February 12, An Giang Provincial People's Committee agreed with the proposal of the Department of Health to spend VND30 billion to purchase equipment and materials for the prevention and control of Covid-19. In addition, the Provincial People's Committee requested localities to coordinate with the Departments of Agriculture and Rural Development and Industry and Trade to review the agricultural and fishery products affected by the cessation of Chinese consumption and to develop measures to support local farmers.
* In order to prepare conditions for students to return to school, on February 12, Chairman of Thua Thien - Hue Provincial People's Committee, Phan Ngoc Tho, signed a guiding document requesting the provincial Department of Education and Training to grant 290,000 free face masks for 100% of pupils and teachers at all levels from kindergarten to high school in the province.
Thua Thien - Hue authorities inspect medical mask production in Hue Textile and Garment Joint Stock Company. (Photo: NDO/Cong Hau)
* In the afternoon of the same day, the Minister of Transport led an inspection mission to review the Covid-19 prevention and control at Noi Bai International Airport in Hanoi. The minister requested more hand washing and disinfectants at the airport and research on a solution to check body temperature of all passengers to better control the spread of the virus.
* On Wednesday afternoon, a delegation of Vietnam General Confederation of Labour had a meeting with the Vinh Phuc Provincial Labour Confederation and Vinh Phuc Industrial Park Trade Union. The representatives from the Vietnam General Confederation of Labour urged the local trade unions to advise business owners to promote the communication on prevention of Covid-19, while paying attention to the benefits of union members and workers, especially those are in medical isolation.
* In the face of the local farmers' difficulties in consuming watermelons and dragon fruit, in recent days, many organisations and individuals have joined hands to support the consumption of these products. In particular, on February 11, the Association of Young Vietnamese Entrepreneurs and TTC Group purchased 20 tonnes of watermelon from farmers in Gia Lai Province. This week, they are expected to continue purchasing an additional 20 tonnes of dragon fruit from farmers in Binh Thuan Province.
Department of Industry and Trade of Tien Giang Province is cooperating with Big C supermarket system and My Tinh An Dragon Fruit Cooperative in Cho Gao District to launch a programme supporting local businesses and cooperatives to consume fruit.